Mental Health & Wellbeing




In The Federation, our staff are always dedicated and committed to promoting the welfare and wellbeing of the children.

This page will provide you with a range of information to help and support your child with any issues, we will always help and assist as we feel we have a duty to ensure your child is in the best mind set so they can be to both focus and enjoy their education with us in the school. 

What does the DFE think of Mental Health.

A priority set out by the Green Paper, ‘Transforming children and young people’s mental health provision’ is to ensure schools are adequately supported to build whole school environments and to develop approaches within which pupils can achieve their full potential.1 Supporting schools to have a clear offer to promote pupils’ mental health and wellbeing, and to protect them from bullying, are therefore priorities for the Department for Education (DfE). There are a range of duties to ensure schools take positive action to establish environments where all pupils are supported to engage fully.

These duties encourage schools to promote a range of whole-school approaches and activities to develop respectful school communities and to support mental health and wellbeing. DfE commissioned this study to further understanding of the extent the current content of schools’ published policies and other information demonstrates relevant approaches and activities.

This evidence will be used to inform decisions about how schools can best be supported to use existing requirements to strengthen their work in these areas and better meet their statutory duties.


Click the image to go to the NSPCC to get advice and support on how to help your child. 

Mental illness and suicidal thoughts can affect anyone, of any age, of any background, at any time. Like with physical illnesses, people don’t choose to have a mental health problem. And they need the appropriate care to get better.

Mental illness and suicidal thoughts are common issues for young people. 

It can be difficult to know if a child is suffering as they often keep it to themselves. But we’re here to help you spot the signs and know how to support them.

Click the image to go to the NHS to get advice and support on how to help your child. 

Mental health services are free on the NHS, but in some cases you'll need a referral from your GP to access them.

There are some mental health services that allow people to refer themselves.

This commonly includes services for drug problems and alcohol problems, as well as psychological therapies (IAPT) services.

If your mental health difficulty is related to stress at work, you can ask your employer what occupational health services are available to you.

Check out the Time to Change website, which has a section dedicated to employers.

If you're at school or college, mental health care may be arranged for you.

Find out more about child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS)

Some mental health problems can be managed without the help of a GP. There are a variety of materials available and local organisations offering help.

You can also try the mood assessment quiz, which is designed to recommend resources to help you better understand how you feel.

For local support and information services near you, you can search:

If you want to talk to someone right away, the mental health helpline page has a list of organisations you can call for immediate assistance.

These are helplines with specially trained volunteers who'll listen to you, understand what you're going through, and help you through the immediate crisis.

Samaritans operates a free service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for people who want to talk in confidence. Call them on 116 123 or visit the Samaritans website.

Find out how to deal with a mental health crisis or emergency

Choosing a mental health service

Your GP will assess your circumstances and offer appropriate advice or treatment.

They can also refer you to a psychological therapy service or a specialist mental health service for further advice or treatment.

These services may be provided by your GP surgery, a large local health centre, a specialist mental health clinic or a hospital.

The treatment may be provided on a one-to-one basis or in a group with others with similar difficulties. Therapy can also sometimes involve partners and families.

How to book your appointment

Once you have decided on a mental health service provider, you may be able to book your appointment through the NHS e-Referral Service.

This can happen in the following ways:

  • your GP can book it while you're at the surgery
  • you can book it online using the appointment request letter your GP gives you
  • you can phone the NHS e-Referral Service line on 0345 60 88 88 8, open Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm, and from 8am to 4pm on weekends and bank holidays

How long do I have to wait for my appointment?

Consultant-led mental health services are covered by the NHS 18-week maximum waiting time.

Find out more about NHS waiting times

Our Federation has trained and specialised members of staff that are 100% commited to support the welfare and mental health of the children. Please speak to them if you have any queries about your childs health and welbeing. 



Student Login