At St John's we follow a creative, topic-based curriculum that is led by a key text. The objectives for our curriculum come from the National Curriculum 2014. Towards the end of the Nursery year we use Read, Write, Inc. as our sole approach to the teaching of phonics. Click the link below to see our long term curriculum for this year. We will soon be adding a medium term plan, which provides further detail. If you would like to know more, please visit our subject website pages or attend one of our school workshops or parent events such as Share the Learning, Class Assembly or Parents' Evening.
Autumn 1 Settling in:
Starting Nursery can be a tricky time so during the first four weeks of Nursery, we will be focussing on settling in and being happy to come to school.
We will focus on:
- Telling our new teachers how we are feeling and finding help when we need it
- Learning to play with our new friends including sharing and taking and taking turns
- Putting our coat on our peg when we come to Nursery
- Knowing where to find the things that we want to play with and where to put them back when we have finished
- Using and playing witht the thngs in our classroom safely and properly
- Learning all about lunchtimes in our new school includig eating properly and feeling safe at lunchtimes
Our first topic will be called 'All about me'. We will be thinking about the people in our family, other people who are speical to us, what makes us special and what we enjoy to do.
We will be learning the book 'The Family Tree' by Todd Parr.